Thursday, June 30, 2011

Boys!

I'm a boy Mom & I had 2 brothers. I've realized lately that to me, this means certain things. I say fart, not toot, poot or gas. As much as you spend on cute, girly clothes & accesories, I spend on food. Seriously. Boys are bottomless pits of energy. This energy comes from the massive amounts of food they consume every hour. I'm also a referee. I have learned that to establish dominance boys will fight to death over a hot wheel, football or pretty much whatever. Luckily it never comes to that.

Boys can learn manners if you start early & often. My boys are not perfect but they know basic manners & use them under threat of the Mom stare. They are always on the hunt. For fun, trouble, food..whatever. Just always on the lookout. A fort will give me exactly 35 minutes of peace. 37 if I can find a flashlight & cookies.  

All boys are tough in their own way. I have a typical tough guy w/ an athletic frame & no fear. I also have a closet tough guy. He seems scared or hesitant until you push him & then you see he's bigger than he seems & tougher than you thought. I have been blessed & sometimes cursed to have the third type. Life has thrown him so many curve balls that he's tougher than any grown man. He's stronger than he thinks & braver than anyone I know.  Together they make the perfect team. Separately they are my one that likes to shop, one that will still cuddle & one that will open up when we drive to get an icee.

Yes, they are messy, crazy, loud, silly, gross & smelly. But they are also sweet, funny, strong, good friends, good brothers & wonderful sons. Sometimes I do envy my friends that have girls & I imagine shopping together, getting pedicures, eating one dinner without a burp or fart. Then I get a HUGE hug that smells like sunshine, sweat, food & boy. I love that smell. I am a boy Mom. I get to build forts, have epic water balloon fights, slap hats on & leave the house in 30 seconds if needed. I'm pretty lucky.

1 comment: