Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reid turns 12

Dear Reid,

Happy Birthday! You're 12 & the time has gone so fast it's scary. I admire the young man you are & the glimpses I get of the man you'll be one day. In your short life you've dealt with so many things. Things I thought would alter your spirit. They did not. Your ability to let events mold you yet not change you is a gift from God. So here are just a few things I love about you.

I love that you donate things & say nothing.

I love that you pray for your bullies because you know that they're hurting.

I love that despite being bullied  you are not one.

I love that you never use Asperger as an excuse. In fact you prefer people not know, so they don't treat you differently.

I love that you've learned to joke about Tourrettes & have named your tics. My favorite is the hungry baby polar bear.

I love that you look at your burn scars & praise God because it could've been your whole arm. Not just your hand & wrist.

I love that you are deeply patriotic.

I love that you love Jesus.

I love that you still hug the people you love no matter who is around.

I love that you have to order a burger from every place we go.

I love that you know random weather facts about Russia & Germany from the 18th century.

I love that you love History.

I love that you love baseball. The history of it, the facts, the players & teams.

I love that you prayed for Uncle Keith everyday he was in Iraq. And how you studied his location on a globe so you could see where he was.

I love that you know the name of a gun, where it came from, the date it was made & what war it may have been used in at the Gun Show.

I love that you want to be trilingual by highschool. I think you will.

I love that you want to be in the FBI & study now what you need to do.

I love that you forgive your real Dad for not being around & thank God for sending you Greg.

I love that you save your money for what you really want.

I love that you are a good friend.

I love that you take being a big brother very serious.

I love that you wanted to vote for the President in Kindergarten & tried to.

I love that you watch the weather channel for fun.

I love that you love to cook. You're meatballs are the best!!

I love that you have to apologize if you've made a mistake before you go to sleep.

I love that you treat girls so well & speak up when someone else is not.

I love that you open doors & pull out seats for ladies of all ages.

I love that you still have your great grandma's sweater because you can smell her perfume.

I love that you collect small, silly things.

I love that you appreciate your teachers & tell them so.

I love that you care about the world & our country.

I love that you know your medical history.

Mostly though, I love that I get to be your Mom. You are a blessing & one of my favorite people. I love you.

1 comment: